Wednesday, September 16, 2009

H Info...meeting the plastic surgeon

So, today Sami and I set off for the big city. :) Last week when we met with the pediatric dermatologist she referred us to a plastic surgeon. When I called to make the appointment I realized that her office was in the same building as the perinatologist I had seen for those last months I was pregnant. I thought this was great because I already knew where the building was! However, I wasn't prepared for what happened when I got there. As I turned into the hospital parking lot I almost vomited. Nice. And then, when I pulled into the parking garage I started crying. Who'd have known that was going to happen? ack! So I parked, and then it hit me...I was coming back here WITH my baby, not coming here alone scared to death that something bad was going to happen to her. So, on the way out we stopped by the peri's office and saw my favorite nurse. It was so great seeing her holding Sami!

Anyway, I of course, wasn't sure if I'd like the plastic surgeon - cause I'm just that way with dr's. But, surprisingly I did. She was very smart, kind to Sami and knew a lot about Hemangioma's. She did do that kooky thing that some people do...talking to me through my baby. "sooooo.....what is your name?" I didn't answer because I hadn't figured out what she was doing yet. Then she said "and how old are you?" Ummm...... Then she looked at me and asked how old she was. Oh, then I figured it out. So, we went on. She looked at our beauty spot and we talked for a long while. Her approach is to keep her on the Propranolol until she's 1, come back to see her and then come again every 3 months. She will plan surgery when we have 6 months with no change, good or bad. The reasoning on this is that the less there is of the heman the less invasive the surgery will be. I agree. So, say we go back at 12 months, then 6 months later it is still the same, we may talk about doing it then. However, if after those 6 months it is improving on it's own noticeably we will still wait. I agree. But, then she said that she could be 2,3,4 years old before it would be the right time. And that kids don't gain their self-consciousness until they are 7 anyway. I don't agree. So, all in all I liked her. I liked that she knew what she was talking about - she treats mostly children with facial malformations. She also supervised the pre-surgery treatment of hemangiomas prior to coming here. I have no doubt she knows her stuff.

On the way out as I walked past 2 ladies with an infant carrier. I heard the older one whisper "that's a hamangioma, too". So, I stopped and asked if their baby also had one. He did, right under his eye. He was also a preemie - weighing 4 pounds 1 ounce. He was born at 30 weeks and had a hard time, he spent 10 weeks in the NICU. It was apparent he had other issues, but he was very sweet. As I walked away I thought how lucky we were that Sami was and is so healthy. This hemangioma is NOTHING compared to what could have been. We are so lucky.

I have mentioned before that we are talking through email and phone with a surgeon in CA. He wants to do the surgery now, or before 14-15 months. He is well-known and respected in his field. I talked to him and loved him. And, I know a couple moms who have been to him and had him remove their childrens hemangiomas.

So, the dilemma is who/what to go forward with...

On a lighter note I was thouroughly annoyed when I left the parking garage. I was TWO minutes over on my time and had not gotten my ticket validated. So, of course, they were going to charge me $1.50. At this point I had visions of pulling a Frasier (ever see that episode where he's being charged for 2 minutes and refuses to pay?). Instead I asked her if we couldn't just pretend I had gotten it validated? Nope? Well, I told her I had no money, just a debit card. So, she tells me to give her my license and she'd give me a "promise to pay" coupon. Well, my wallet was in the diaper bag in the back of the truck. And, when I went to open my door to go get it I couldn't get out because I was too close to her little ticket booth. So, she waves out the window for the car behind me to back up. I have to back up, get out, get my wallet and drive back up to her. So, just because I was feeling spiteful when she handed me my ticket to sign I wrote Angelina Jolie...

2 comments:

Fisk Family said...

Im sorry that you had to go through that at your appointment. Sami is a beautiful happy girl. She is loved by her family her family deerly and will be that way always. Love you sami!

Kelli Fisk said...

Oh my, what a day! No wonder I did not get a phone call after the appt, lol ;-) Sounds good overall, I am glad you liked her. I just have to chime in that we are VERY blessed to have our little Sam and really (as I have said many times) this is nothing in comparison to the struggles that many parents go through on a daily basis with their children. She is a wonderful joy and this will all work out!